The Dakota Planet

Drastic Reality

Spring Break Reality Check!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Drastic Reality

cbsnews.com

cbsnews.com

cbsnews.com

Jamie Zink, Staff Writer

Spring Break 2019 was probably one to  remember for many people. Whether you traveled to the virgin islands, or were a passenger on a cruise ship, I’m sure tropical destinations were very popular this year. But have you ever truly paid attention to these places? Ever take a break from partying to realize how much a place could be struggling? Many Spring Break destinations rely on Spring Break revenue to keep their economy going. This is why you may feel pressured by venders to buy something. These people depend on your money to put food on their plates. The Virgin islands are one of the most struggling destinations of 2019. In September 2017, Category 4 hurricane Maria ripped through the shores of San Juan. These places are barely recovering and this process remains very slow. Walking through the island you can still see the ruins and debris left behind from the disaster. Many people tend to forget what happens in the real world outside of their own. Instead  of relaxing some students spend Spring Break rebuilding in these places. Students can volunteer through humanitarian programs and help these islands regrow  to their greatest potential. Today, these places still need rebuilding and if you think you could make a difference by sending your vacation helping, you should do it. You can gather a group, whether its through your church or school. Plan a trip to these struggling islands through helping hurricane online organizations at: American Red Cross, GlobalGiving, Direct Relief, Americares, and All Hands Volunteers.