The Dakota Planet

2018 Midterm Election Results

Back to Article
Back to Article

2018 Midterm Election Results

Marko Bogojevski, News Writer

On Tuesday November 2nd Michiganders across the state went to the polls in record numbers for the midterms. In Michigan the Democratic party saw huge success. In Michigan’s Governor race Democratic Gretchen Whitmer defeated the Republican candidate Bill Schuette with 53% of the vote. Dana Nessel won the Attorney General race with 49% of the vote against Republican Tom Leonard. Finally, Democratic Jocelyn Benson defeated Republican Mary Lang for Secretary of State with 52% of the vote.  

Democratic Debbie Stabenow Michigan’s incumbent Senator won reelection with 52% of the vote against Republican candidate John James. In Michigan’s congressional races Republicans won 7 seats and Democrats won 7 seats as well, flipping two previous Republican seats, they were district 8 and 11. In District 8 Democratic Elissa Slotkin defeated incumbent Mike bishop with 50% of the vote. Also, in District 11 Democratic Haley Stevens won against Republican Lena Epstein.  

In the Michigan Legislature, Republicans keep majority in both houses. In the Michigan Senate Republicans won 22 seats to the Democrats 17 seats. In the Michigan House of Representatives Republicans won 58 seats compared to Democrats winning 53 seats. 

Michigan passed Proposal 1 which legalizes marijuana with 56% of the vote. Also, Proposal 2 passed with 61% which creates an independent commission for redistricting. Finally, Proposal 3 passed with 67% of the vote. Locally the school bond for Chippewa Valley Schools “Safe Schools, Strong Schools” passed.  

In national election news, Republicans hold on to their majority and even flipped multiple Democratic seats in the US Senate. In the House of Representatives however, the Democrats took control of the US House of Representatives by winning many key races across the nation.

About the Writer
Marko Bogojevski, News Writer

Marko Bogojevski is a senior at Dakota High School, and this is his first year with the Dakota Planet. He is a news writer and he likes to write about...