Michigan Achievement Award

Michigan Achievement Award

Attention Class of 2023 and beyond, there may be a new way to lower the costs of college! Public Act 212 was signed by Governor Gretchen Whitmer with bipartisan support on October 11th, making Michigan students eligible for additional State financial aid. By filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, also known as the FAFSA, students can learn if they are eligible. All students will be given an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) reported on their Student Aid Report (SAR) under their My FAFSA page. Students whose EFC is $25,000 or less can apply for the Michigan Achievement Scholarship. Additional requirements are enrolling full-time in college within fifteen months of graduation from high school as well as having been a Michigan resident since July 1st of the previous calendar year. At most colleges and universities, to be considered full-time, students must take at least twelve credits per semester.  

Filling out the FAFSA is the application for these scholarships, no other materials are necessary. To track the status of their scholarship, students can create a Michigan Student Scholarships and Grants (MiSSG) Student Portal account after three to five business days when the FAFSA has been approved. 

For those who plan on attending a community college, up to $2,750 can be awarded. Students who are going to attend a private college or university can be awarded up to $4,000. Students who wish to attend a public university have the ability to get the most money – up to $5,500.  

Unlike a loan, a scholarship is money students don’t have to pay back so every bit helps!  

For more information go to https://www.michigan.gov/mistudentaid/programs/michigan-achievement-scholarship