Elective Experiences

Elective Experiences

With scheduling drawing near, it is time to start thinking about possible electives to take. Dakota has a large number of courses which span across a wide range of subjects. Here are the electives that I took over the years, and my experiences with them: 

Beginner Sewing and Design 

This was my first elective I took that was not a requirement, and to this day, it is still one of my favorite classes ever. I took it during my first semester of my sophomore year, which meant it ended up being online. Therefore, I did not get the full experience of the class, since we could not be in-person to learn how to use sewing machines. Despite that, I still felt like I learned a lot, such as different types of stitches, how to sew on buttons, and the characteristics of various materials. My favorite thing I did in class was the final project where I got to pick what I wanted to sew, and I ended up making a tote bag out of two shirts. Since the class is being held in-person now, the projects done will most likely be much different than my own, but I am confident that it is still a very enjoyable class. 

Physical Education II 

Technically, I took this class when it was still a requirement to complete two semesters of physical education, so it was not a class that I initially had the desire to take. However, my experience overall was a surprisingly positive one, and I enjoyed coming to class every day. It was actually one of my favorite classes that I took sophomore year. The sport that I was dreading the most was swimming, but it ended up being my favorite unit from the whole semester. It was fun to learn the different swimming strokes, and every day we had the chance to jump off the pool’s diving board if we wanted to. In addition to swimming, we also played football and softball. Overall, I would recommend this class to anyone who would like to be free to move around for the hour and learn about different sports. 

Theater Arts I 

I took this class in the first semester of my junior year, and I found that it was a great class for stepping outside of my comfort zone (in a good way!). Almost every day, we played games as a group that strengthened theater-related skills such as improv, voice projection, and miming. In addition to playing games, we were also assigned projects to complete. For example, one of our projects was to create a script to perform in front of the class. Other assignments were related to the learning we did about stage types and sets, and we even got to draw our own. All in all, Theater is a great class to meet new people, build confidence, and have fun. 

Ceramics I 

Ceramics was the second elective I took during my junior year, and I absolutely loved it. I hadn’t built with clay in quite some time, so I was very excited to have the opportunity to do so every day. I will say I am not particularly talented when it comes to the ceramic arts, but I still thoroughly enjoyed the class anyways. In class, I learned different techniques for clay-building like coiling and blending, and these skills were assessed through assigned projects. When we finished building a project and they were fired in the kiln, we usually were able to glaze them. That was always one of my favorite parts since there were so many different colors to choose from. Some of the assigned projects included a large coil pot, some pinch pots, a tile, and, my personal favorite, a teardrop pot. Ceramics is an excellent class for anyone who enjoys being creative, and is looking to learn about a new form of art. 

Writing for Publication I/II 

I decided to take Writing for Publication as one of my senior year electives. I initially only planned to take it first semester, but I ended up enjoying it so much that I decided to take it second semester as well. The main focus in class is on writing for our school newspaper, the Dakota Planet (which you are reading right now!) We get to write about topics of our choice, and are given the chance to conduct interviews around the school and use professional cameras if necessary for our articles. Besides writing and publishing an article to the Dakota Planet each week, we are also responsible for looking at articles from other sources, and editing the work of our peers, all in an effort to enhance our own writing and communication skills. I personally like the independent style of the class and believe that anyone with a passion for writing and willingness to share their work would enjoy the class as well. 

Anatomy and Physiology I 

Another one of my senior year electives, Anatomy, was a science class that focused on the parts of the body and how they work. Some of the units covered were the skeletal, muscle, and nervous systems. While I did learn about them before, my previous knowledge was only a brief overview, and did not dive into details that this class did. I found the content that I covered to be very valuable, and when the semester came to an end, I felt that I gained a better understanding of myself. I believe this is a class that most everyone would find interesting and would be especially good for those looking to go into the medical field. It is possible to take a full year of the class too, as there is also Anatomy II. 

Debate 

Debate is a semester-long class that I am currently taking, so I have only been in it for about two weeks at the time of writing. I decided to take the class because I was looking to improve my communication skills, as well as learn about the proper techniques for debating. My first assignment was to present an intro speech about myself, to get comfortable speaking in front of the class.  

The electives that I took are just a few of the many courses offered here at Dakota. Be sure to take some time to look through the course booklet and select classes that you would find valuable and interesting. Happy scheduling! 

For more information on available electives, click here: https://thedakotaplanet.com/19807/features/classes-you-may-not-know-about/