Classes You May Not Know About

Classes You May Not Know About

For students to graduate, they must have 4.0 credits for English, 4.0 credits for math, 3.0 credits for science, and 3.0 credits in social studies. Also needed are 2.0 credits in a foreign language, 0.5 credits for physical education, and 0.5 credits for health. That leaves 5.0 credits left over, including the necessary 1.0 credit in Visual, Performing, and Applied Arts (VPAA) to graduate. That is quite a few credits left over that students can choose from a list of classes for a total of 22.0 credits. If students are interested in a topic, there probably is a class for it. Listed below are different lesser-known elective classes that don’t require any prerequisites. Students can choose to take these classes at any point in time.  

The 1.0 credit needed in Visual, Performing, or Applied Arts can be music, art, or Career Technical Education (CTE) related. Classes that fulfil the VPAA requirement will be marked by an asterisk. Art classes like drawing, ceramics, and painting are well known, but Jewelry and Metalsmithing* is also a class anyone interested can choose to take. 

English Classes:  

Theater Arts I and II* can be taken by anyone and are not connected to Dakota’s musicals or plays. The annual musicals and plays are an after-school commitment, and they require that students audition to be a member. Media Literacy focuses on identifying things like emotional appeals and the motives of mass media along with learning how it influences not just people’s perceptions, but also their actions. College Writing I/II focuses on the skills needed for writing essays and research papers in college. Writing for Publication I/II is a yearlong journalism class where students write articles and take pictures for the school newspaper on all different types of relevant topics to the school community.  

Math Elective Classes: 

Math for Problem Solving I/II is for students who like story problems and math that has real-world applications. It can be taken on its own or with another math related course.  

Music Classes: 

Music Theory* is for both choir and band students and it focuses on both history and composition. Music Seminar I and II* is for band students and it is a requirement that they provide their own instrument. In this class they get the opportunity to play their instruments in front of the class once a week. 

Physical Education Electives: 

Advanced physical education classes may be taken more than once, but they cannot be used to meet the PE graduation requirements. In the past few years Chippewa Valley has revised their policy and now all current students must take only 0.5 credits of gym to graduate instead of 1.0 credit. Students may choose between taking Physical Education I or II. In PE I students play a variety of sports while the focus of PE II is swimming.  

Advanced Men’s Sports I and II and Advanced Women’s Sports I and II both do the same activities. Sports played include soccer, volleyball, floor hockey, basketball, softball, badminton, and archery. Men’s Weight Training and Women’s Weight Training take place in Dakota’s Weight Room. Dakota also offers many Advanced Team Sports classes including ones that focus solely on basketball, softball, football and baseball.  

American Red Cross Lifeguard Training is the only elective on this list that does require classes to have been taken previously. Students must have completed PE I and II to be allowed in this class. By the end of this course, students will have taken a test to become certified as a lifeguard.  

Social Studies: 

American Legal Studies is great for those who have an interest in the justice system, especially if they are thinking about becoming a lawyer. Current World Issues is another class for students interested in topics like environmental issues, nuclear weapons, and international conflicts. Western Civilization, History of the Modern Middle East, History of World Religions, and African American History are all fascinating social studies classes that dive deep into different topics in history.  

Here are some CTE Classes that you do not have to have any prerequisites for, nor be involved in the actual CTE Program to take: 

In Keyboarding and Business Technology students learn how to type and use programs such as Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel. Beginner Sewing and Design* teaches students how to sew by hand as well as how to use a sewing machine. Nutrition Education I and II* teaches students important life skills such as how to cook and meal plan. Housing and Interior Design* teaches students how to create floor plans, pick color schemes, and furnish residential and commercial spaces.  

Consumer Education is a semester long class that instructs students on how to manage their money. It is similar to a personal finance class. Human Relations teaches students how to build healthy and effective relationships. Independent Living is a class that teaches students how to use a checking account and how to make housing decisions. Parenting is a semester long course that teaches students how to care for children. In this class students get a fake baby that simulates what it is like to have a real child.  

Leadership I/II is a class that teaches students the necessary skills to be a good leader. Members get to help plan things around the school. 

Please note: 

Which classes run each year depends on how many students sign up for it, so it’s possible that not every class on this list will be options to take. The best advice if one of these classes look fun is to get a group of people all to request it. About 25 people are needed to have a class to run. Classes that are titled I and II do not need to be taken together, while classes labeled I/II are full year courses.