Midterms, but Make it Virtual

A Look Into How Students Are Starting to Prepare for Midterms

Who would have ever thought that we would still be online and having to take midterms from inside our own houses, it’s crazy to know that it has almost been a whole year of us not going to a class in our very own Dakota High School. Here are some opinions from Kendyl Baron, Zoe Wilson, and Elle Warnack, three sophomores from Dakota about dealing with midterms and how confident they are going into these next few weeks.

Elle Warnack

BP: “How does it feel to be doing midterms at home?”

EW: “Being home for midterms this year has made me slightly more comfortable. Since I’ll be in an environment, I feel calm and relaxed and I think it will help my nerves a lot. I’m still anxious about midterms but being at home has definitely made me feel less stressed.”

BP: “What subject do you feel most nervous about?”

EW: “I’m most nervous about my AP U.S. History midterm. It’s the hardest course I took this year, and it challenges me more than any other class. The concepts are harder to grasp which stresses me out.”

BP: “What subject do you feel most confident about?”

EW: “I feel good about my English midterm. I love reading and writing and it has always come easy to me, I’m still nervous about it because it’s 20% of my grade but it’s definitely at the bottom of my list of worries.”

BP: “What study habits work for you?”

EW: “A few study habits that work for me are review videos, I watch videos on subjects and take notes to help me remember the important information being presented to me. I also look back at the notes I’ve taken and take extra time to review the things I had a harder time understanding.”

BP: “Do you have any other tips for other students on how to study?”

EW: “I would tell other students to try a bunch of different study methods (reading notes, rewatching lessons recording or watching videos on a certain subject) and try to figure out what works best for them. Everyone has different ways of learning, it’s all about finding the learning style that you respond to best.”

Elle Warnack

Kendyl Baron

BP: “ How does it feel to be doing midterms at home?”

KB: “ it feels really weird doing midterms at home. It’s definitely a lot different than what we did last year and I never thought we would be online this long.”

KB: “ I am most nervous about the math midterm. I find it hard to learn math online because a lot of it is independent work and it’s hard staring at shapes from a screen.”

BP: “ what subject do you feel most confident about?”

KB: “ The subject I feel good about is my a push exam. Since the exam is curved, it helps us out a lot.”

BP: “ what study habits work for you?”

KB: “ The study habits that work best for me I making flashcards and quizlets. They help me memorize what is needed for tests. I also find review videos to be very helpful.”

BP: “ do you have any tips for other students on how to study?”

KB: “ my tips for other students to start studying in advance and not procrastinator so you are trying to cram in everything the day before the test.”

Kendyl Baron

Zoe Wilson

BP: “ how does it feel to be doing midterms at home?”

ZW: “ been at home for midterms this year, has honestly put me slightly eddies. In the comfort of my own home, I get to work and I own environment and won’t be distracted by other students in a classroom. It’s definitely a different experience I’m not quite used to yet, but it does have its benefits.”

BP: “ what subject do you feel most nervous about?”

ZW: “ The subject I’m most nervous about will definitely be my AP US history class. This is the only AP class I am taking this year along with other honors but I’d say this class presents me with the most challenge.”

BP: “ what subject are you most confident about?”

ZW: “ The subject i’m the least stressed about would have to be English. I love writing and since the midterm is an essay on a book we read I’m not worried about it.“

BP: “ what study habits work for you?”

ZW: “ The study habits that work best for me is watching review videos and taking notes on the content.”

BP: “ do you have any tips for students on how to study?”

ZW: “ my tips for other students and studying is to experience different ways to find out what works best for them. I also advise taking breaks in between studying to refocus yourself since it’s easy to get off track when studying for a long period of time.”

Zoe Wilson