Dakota’s Gender and Sexuality Alliance – Club Information

Dakota’s Gender and Sexuality Alliance is a club that focuses in creating a safe space for everyone to come and be themselves. Even though the club mainly caters to students who are members of the LBGT+ community, all students, regardless of sexuality, are welcome to join and learn from their peers.  

Meetings are currently being held online every other Tuesday at 2:30 pm virtually, the next meeting is Nov. 3rd. There are plans to continue these virtual meetings throughout the year. Text @gsa2021dhs to 81010 to join the remind anget meeting updates. 

The GSA has events throughout the year to educate the community and provide representation for LGBT+ students. Often the Dakota and Chippewa GSA’s get together to connect with the community around us. These events have included movie nights for the whole school, presentations from colleges about their resources for LGBT+ youth, and presentations and involvement with the Macomb Pride festival.  

I, Katie Kraemer, am actually the president of GSA and have spent the last two years updating and running the club with the help of our advisor Mrs. Lange. I strive to make GSA a place where students can see they are not alone and get advice from peers going through the same situationsMaking a space where students can feel validated and loved is so important for students who feel confused or scared and are looking for help. Personally, this club has helped me to discover who I am and how my involvement in the LGBT+ community can help to shape my life. I hope to help my members feel that same level of safety and security not only at school, but in our community 

I asked some of the club members, who wish to stay anonymous, to tell me what GSA means to them in 1 word. These were their responses: 

Home” – Grade 10 

“Fun” – Grade 10 

Safe”  – Grade 11

These are the foundations we strive to build at Dakota. GSA is a safe and welcoming place for everyone, and we hope you’ll join us!