"We Revolve Around You"

The Dakota Planet

"We Revolve Around You"

The Dakota Planet

"We Revolve Around You"

The Dakota Planet

Solo & Ensemble is approaching! What is it?

Solo ensemble season is approaching! Now what is solo ensemble?

Solo ensemble is for band and choir students, and it works a little differently for both. However, the sign-up process is similar. Those who wants to compete in solo ensemble need to be a part of a registered band or choir program. They’re given a form to be signed by parents, and a 10$ fee is paid.

For students competing instrumentally, solo ensemble is comprised of chamber, group, and individual events that compete for a 1, 2, or 3 rating. You can compete with solos, duets, quartets, quintets, and ensembles playing pretty much any instrument, from piano to tuba, or even your voice. You’re rated on your performance and technique and given constructional feedback afterward.

While anyone can sign up for districts, only those rated a 1 may be invited to states where they can compete at a higher level. You might have to prepare an extra piece for states, and soloists will be asked to do something extra like scales and sight reading. The location of the districts competition varies between region, of course, but the MSBOA – Michigan School Band and Orchestra Association – state solo ensemble is held in Okemos, Michigan.

Trevor Lasater, a senior and a member of Wind ensemble at Dakota High School, is competing in solo ensemble with a solo, two duets, and an ensemble. For his solo, he’s playing his signature alto saxophone for the song “Partita in A Minor” by Bach. His duets are Clear Water – a French horn and sax duet – with his friend Grant Leto, a junior in Wind ensemble. His second duet is “Diametrically the Same” by Nick Heilborn – a marimba and tenor sax duet – with his friend Spencer Brong, also a junior in Wind ensemble.  His ensemble will be performing The Gladiator by John Phelps.

Keegan Amez, a senior in Mixed Varsity, Men’s chorus, and Dakota’s acapella group: the Crescendudes, is competing in the vocal aspect of the solo ensemble competition. He’s performing “O Mistress Mine” from William Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night, and “Sebben, Crudele” by Alessandro Parisotti and Antonio Caldara.

While Keegan is primarily a tenor, he’s capable of singing bass as well. His says: It’s nerve-wracking but it’s a great experience to have. It helps him understand where he’s at vocally.

When competing in solo ensemble as a vocalist, you have to perform a classical piece and a piece in another language. Alternatively, you can perform up to three songs from a musical as long as they are of contrasting nature.

Lucas Hunter, a senior, while not competing in solo ensemble this year, has competed in previous years. Now he’s accompanying Sophie Battaglia with their songs “Se Tu M’ami” by Cecilia Bartoli and “The Lass from the Low Countree” by Hope Koehler and James Doublass. Vocalists almost always have an accompanist and this vocalist, Sophie, is a junior at Dakota and a member of women’s varsity and show choir.

Like Keegan said, solo ensemble is a good experience to have. Students perform and in return receive feedback from professionals. Their school or community may not offer many other performing opportunities. Other competitions, like auditions for All-State Band or All-State Choir, or more local competitions like Amplify, can be a lot more expensive and exclusive, or just may not be what a student specializes in.

Overall, solo ensemble is a good decision if you are dedicated to your craft and want to know how you stand in the eyes of a professional.

Dates for the solo ensemble vary throughout January and mid-February. Keegan Amez, Trevor Lasater, Lucas Hunter, and Sophie Battaglia are competing this weekend.