"We Revolve Around You"

The Dakota Planet

"We Revolve Around You"

The Dakota Planet

"We Revolve Around You"

The Dakota Planet

Euchre Club

Euchre+Club

Euchre Club is something that everyone can enjoy and we have it right here at Dakota. This club is headed by Mr. Giannini. They have an upcoming tournament this both students and staff can participate in. The date for this tournament is to be determined.

So, what is Euchre and how do you play it? This game is usually played with two to four people  and with 32 of the highest cards. The goal is to win at least three out of five tricks used. To begin, you have to sit across from your partner during the entirety of the game. Euchre is played only using kings, queens, jacks, tens, and nines-the highest cards in the deck. There are five rounds within the game that are called tricks. To start the game off, each play has to draw a card from the deck to determine the dealer. The player with the highest card will be chosen as the dealer. Then, the dealer flips the top card face up. “The player who lays the highest card in the suit of the first card played — unless someone contributes a trump, in which case it is whoever lays the highest trump card — collects all four cards together and stacks the cards in front of them, thus taking the trick” (dummies.com). “After the deal is complete, the dealer turns over the top card of the four remaining cards. This is called the up card, and it determines what the trump suit is for the current hand. The remaining three cards play no part in the current hand. The trump suit represents the boss suit, meaning that a trump card beats any card in any other suit. In Euchre, you have to follow the suit that the first player leads (play a card in the same suit), but if you can’t follow suit, you can play a trump card and win the trick (unless someone plays a higher trump card)” (dummies.com). Now, the rankings in this game conclude that ace is at the top and nines are at the bottom. There are exceptions to these rankings such as when there is a right ( jack is the trump suit) or left bower (second highest trump is jack of another color). As for scoring, the team that wins three out of four trick receives one point while, the side that gets all tricks sweeps the hand. There are multiple euchre strategies as well. After the opening lead is made, the play goes clockwise around the table. You must follow suit if you can, but if you can’t, throw off any card or play a trump card as you see fit. Failure to follow suit when you can do so is called a renege. You must correct a renege before the winner gathers the trick. If another player identifies a renege, the innocent side may add two points to its score or deduct two points from the guilty side” (dummies.com).

Euchre is so popular because of the team work involved. It is such a complex game that requires both knowledge and guess work. Everyone enjoys playing because its brings people together in a fun way.

Overall, Euchre is a fun game that builds connections.  Be sure to check out our club!

https://www.dummies.com/article/home-auto-hobbies/games/card-games/general-card-games/the-basics-of-playing-euchre-193803/