Dakota’s Culinary Program

At Dakota High School, students have the opportunity to partake in the National Restaurant Association Education Foundation ProStart Program. By the end of this program, students should have 400 hours of mentored work experience to qualify for the ProStart National Certificate of Achievement.  

The main goal of this course is to provide those who participate with many different skills, allowing them to succeed in the Hospitality Industry in the future. According to Chippewa Valley Schools, students will learn about pre-preparation, menu planning, restaurant management, cost control, accounting and many other things that will help them thrive.  

The students are able to show off their skills in “The Meeting Grounds Restaurant” located near the north entrance of Dakota High School. They are responsible for “food production, customer service, and portion control.”  

Seniors can apply for an internship provided by the Culinary Program working 200 hours each semester. This allows them to get paid while also gaining an “on-the-job” work experience in whichever career area they chose. To be eligible you must have a teacher recommendation and be enrolled in Culinary Arts two or three.  

Not only does this program highly benefit your work experience but it also puts you on the path to an efficient future plan. By taking part in the Culinary Arts program, you can meet the following graduation requirements; visual, performing, and applied art (VPAA) credit, a world language credit, and (only seniors) a math related credit. Also, by completing two full years of this program students may gain tuition free credits at Macomb Community College, Oakland Community College, Henry Ford College, Washtenaw Community College, and Baker College.  

Students enjoy this course because they feel involved and a part of something important while also gaining skills that will help them achieve later in life.  

Sites Used: 

https://www.chippewavalleyschools.org/academics/cte/culinary-arts/ 

https://www.chippewavalleyschools.org/downloads/academics/brochure_-_dhs_culinary_arts_revised_2-12-2021_bk.pdf