Medical Program

Medical+Program

Med English is a college preparatory and career preparatory class. You learn the college-needed skills such as writing formatted papers, how to make a resume, and how to develop and practice employability skills as well. Med English students tend to perform well on their SAT and once they are in college, their language arts skills put them ahead of others. The Dakota Medical program prepares students for the real world when they go into the medical field for their careers.  

After speaking with the teachers that teach Med English 11 and Med English 12, I wanted to get more detail on the class and what made them want to teach this course. 

Question: What is Med English about? And What made you want to teach this course? 

Mrs. Sobota~ What made me want to teach Med English…I’ve always been interested in science, medicine, and healthcare. I was originally a pre-med major in college but discovered that I did not enjoy patient care and I, therefore, did not pursue a career in healthcare. However, when our school district decided about 12 years ago to create a Medical Academy, where students could satisfy earning their required English credit by taking a specially designed English language arts curriculum with a healthcare/medical focus, I knew I wanted to teach the class because I never did lose my love of medical science.  

Mrs. Tancredi~ I wanted to teach Med English because when I was in college I wanted to go into athletic training, and I really wanted to go into the medical field, so I wanted to teach students about it and give them the opportunity to advance in the career they want to go to. 

I also spoke with some Juniors that take Med English. 

Question: Why do you want to go into the medical field and what kind of job are you most interested in? How do you think Med English will help you? 

Neveah Chalk~ I want to go into the medical field because helping people brings me happiness and I enjoy learning about the human body. The career that interests me the most is gynecology. Med English had helped me advise my writing skills in the APA format of writing which is crucial for any medical major in college. 

Ryane Warne~ I wanted to go into the medical field to help people and have a bigger responsibility. I am most interested in becoming a trauma surgeon. Also, I think Med English will help me a lot by teaching me more about the medical field and learn new vocab. 

Jordyn Carter~ I wanted to go into the medical field because I love helping people and I’ve always wanted to be a nurse my whole life. I want to be a nurse anesthetist. Med English will help me because it will further my knowledge of how the brain works and the different medical terminology needed to be in the medical field. 

I have also talked to some of the Seniors that experience going to the hospital during school. 

Question: What job are you most interested in and what do you do when you go to the hospital? 

Aleah Nicholson~ I want to be an ER travel nurse and when I go to the hospital, I help the nurse assistants with anything they need help with, I answer call lights and restock.  

Peyton Simrak~ I want to be a pediatric oncology nurse and when we go to the hospital, we get 7 rotations each 3-4 weeks and we go 3-4 times a week. These are for experiences all around the hospital and getting to know it for our future careers. 

Emma Thamarus~ I am going into nursing, so I want to be a certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist. In the first year of Med, you learn majority of your skills and just apply them at the hospital. Mainly day-day skills are vital signs. Vital signs consist of feeding, bathing, etc. 

Jada Rivera~ I am most interested in pursuing a career in sports medicine. The first unit I had was in the ER so I would help draw blood, clean wounds, take vital signs and even help change someone’s brief. 

Units at the hospital: 

• ASC 
  • Pre-op and Post-op care 
  • ER 
  • Oncology 
  • Transport 
  • PT and OT 
  • CNVS/CATH 
  • Cancer Care 
  • Pharmacy 
  • ER observation 
  • ICU  
  • Women’s Care 

Any incoming juniors that are interested in Med English 11 can choose to schedule for it if they also have Medical Careers 1. 

To be a senior in Medical English 12, the student must submit an application and then be accepted for a spot in the senior level of the Medical Academy. Applications get submitted at the start of the 2nd semester of junior year.