College in Europe vs USA

Ever since my freshman year of high school I’ve wanted to live abroad and have been trying to figure out how. During quarantine I discovered an American girl on TikTok that was attending university in Prague at Anglo American University. Almost 3 years later and I’m committed to Anglo American University starting fall of 2023. There are many reasons why I decided to go to college abroad  

Price 

Most universities in the United States have a majorly high tuition with around $14,000 to up to $40,000 per year depending on if you’re attending a college in or out of state. My tuition at Anglo American University for my 3 years is around $32,000 (around 5,300 per semester) This doesn’t include housing or a meal plan. 

Graduation speed  

Instead of graduating in 4 years, I’ll be graduating in 3 years with a bachelor’s degree. 

Independent living  

Independence is one thing I am very excited about when I go to college. Anglo American University doesn’t have a dining hall so it’s up to me to learn how to cook and control what I eat.  

Living situation 

One of the most drastic differences between schools in the US and schools in Europe is where you are living. In my situation, AAU is in the heart of Prague, so the city is basically my campus. The student housing also isn’t on campus, it’s about a 25-minute tram ride from the school so it’s different than a school where you live on the campus. 

Traveling  

Being based in Eastern Europe allows me to travel to many different places in Europe. Germany and Austria are right next door to Czechia, so they are just a train ride away for a weekend trip.  

I haven’t visited Prague or started college yet so there’s things I haven’t experienced like the classes and the whole moving across the world part but those are some differences between colleges in the US and Europe.