Chippewa Valley Schools plans on going hybrid on January 25th

On January 11th Chippewa Valley Schools had a board meeting. The main reason for this meeting was to reconfirm the vote on transitioning students back to hybrid learning. This topic had not been voted on since early November when the board struck down a plan to go start hybrid learning.   

Since the failed vote, there have been several developments. COVID spread in Macomb and Clinton Township has gone up. Vaccinations are being distributed to teachers. Gretchen Whitmer encouraged all schools to start in-person learning by March 1st.   

In the week leading up to the meeting, strong public opinions have started to emerge. An argument between students on the Schoology app about whether or not in-person learning should start was on display to every Dakota student. Recently, Mr. Koskos posted a statement in response to heightened tensions, asking students to “Please refrain from using [Schoology] as a way to create negativity or conflict by posting comments on posts”   

Several parents have also shown strong passion. Here are some notable quotes from parents at the meeting:  

“Now is the time, it’s time to get our kids back in school. . . It’s hard not to think that we have always put the teachers or peers first, never the students or parents” -Mr. Clos  

“The board has not been transparent enough” Mr. Leach  

“If you are referring to [starting in-person learning] later in the year of 2021, that is absolutely ridiculous.” Mrs. Griffen   

“The children need to be in school full time. The governor made it clear the other day that the children are not the spreaders of COVID… My children have not learned a thing this year, and I blame it on the board. . .” -Mrs. Rice  

Two students spoke at the board meeting, both being against hybrid learning:  

“The district cannot ensure that all students will be protected. . .why take that risk. . . Do not risk our health for a handful of vocal parents with ulterior need for childcare.” -Jacque   

“It’s not worth it to go back. . . it’s selfish.” -Tanzila K  

A few board members had comments before the re-confirmation vote   

Mr. Wojtowicz requested that this topic be addressed every meeting moving forward. Later he addressed how the board was using the number of positive COVID cases. He does not agree with using this metric and mentioned how doctors have recommended using hospitalization rates and death rates. Mr. Wojtowicz then went on to express his frustration with the CDC, and what he believes to be contradictions. “Let’s send our kids back to school.”   

Dr. Andriaschko stated her opposition to the reconfirmation of the vote. She is concerned about staffing issues.  

Mrs. Aquino sympathized with parents, calling this plan “A great first step” and stated her hopes to go back to in-person learning soon. Later she talks about why the rate of spread is important. She says that it is an indication of how many quarantines the school would need to do if it reopened.   

Mr. Bednard talked about how it is hard to use numbers or professional opinions in this matter because they are not agreed upon by all. One doctor told the board that they would kill the kids if they went hybrid, and another said that they should go back to full in-person learning. He says “You have got to do what’s right in your heart”  

A roll call vote was then taken. Here are the results.   

Board Member*   Vote  
Jill DeMuynck Zech   Yes  
Denise Aquino   Yes  
Joline Andriaschko   No  
Frank Bednard   Yes  
George Sobah   Yes  
Robert Wojtowicz   Yes  
Beth Pyden   Yes  

*Members are listed in the order they voted.   

With 6-1 in favor, the vote passed. Hybrid learning will start for all grades, starting on January 25th.   

In the next couple of weeks, look out for articles that go into more detail about the hybrid learning plan, including interviews with Dakota students, asking them their opinion on this development.