The Dakota Planet

Filed under News

State of the Union Recap

Back to Article
Back to Article

State of the Union Recap

President Donald Trump middle, Vice President Mike Pence, left, and on the right House Speaker Nancy Pelosi

AP

AP

AP

February 5, 2019 President Trump delivered his second State of the Union to Congress. The speech was originally scheduled for January 29 but due to the government shutdown Speaker Pelosi disinvited President Trump until the shutdown was over. The night was started with a statement made by House Democratic women who wore all white to represent woman suffrage. 

During the speech, President Trump shared many stories about the guests he brought to the event. One guest Judah Samet was a survivor of the Holocaust and the Pittsburgh shooting last year. Another guest was Grace Eline who is a young girl that survived brain cancer. Some other guests where Alice Johnson who Trump granted clemency last June and a boy named Joshua Trump who was bullied due to his last name.  

Also, President Trump laid out many plans for his administration to carry out. Trump called for Congress to pass funding for the southern border wall. He announced a plan to meet with Kim Jong-Un in Vietnam for a two-day summit. Trump also announced a plan to end the HIV epidemic by 2030. 

President Trump’s second State of Union was well received from his supporters. The Democratic response was done by Stacey Abrams who was Democratic candidate for governor in Georgia.

About the Writer
Marko Bogojevski, News Writer

Marko Bogojevski is a senior at Dakota High School, and this is his first year with the Dakota Planet. He is a news writer and he likes to write about...