The Dakota Planet

Student Profiles: De’javion Stepney

Emily Cagle

De’Javion Stepney, known as Dj to most, is a sophomore on Dakota Highschool’s varsity football team. As number 25 he plays, running back, wide receiver, safety, and corner. Dj is a standout player, as he is only 1 out of the 4 sophomores on varsity. When he was a freshman he got moved up to JV and then started playing permanently for the varsity team. 

De’javion has been playing for almost 10 years now, starting when he was just 6. His dad was good at football and got Dj into many little leagues which made him fall in love with the sport. His short-term goals are to get more offers this season and his long-term goals are to go to the NFL, preferably playing for the New York Giants, just like his inspiration Odell Beckham Jr. When asking him what he would want to be outside of football, he said he would want to be a graphic designer.  

To prep for a game, he listens to music, to focus and feel ready in case of times of being nervous. Like when he was told he would get moved up to varsity his freshman year. Knowing he would go against 18-year-olds was nerve-wrecking to him. But deep down he always felt ready. De’Javion describes himself as an ‘optimistic’ person. When it comes to football and the social world he says, “it gives you life skills and teaches you to trust and work well with people,”. Everyone can tell Dj loves to be on the field, he specifically says, “I have a good time and it gets my mind off of everything.”.  

Catch De’Javion Stepney playing every Friday at 7 on the field. Bringing home wins for Dakota.