Student Profiles: Bethany Cox and Mide Abejide

Bow down everyone, Bethany Cox and Mide Abejide are your Dakota homecoming queen and king this year. With winning this title and representing Dakota high school many must wonder, who are these outstanding students?

Bethany Cox, our 2018 homecoming queen. As a senior at Dakota she was the obvious choice for this years queen. With how likable and social she is, she won majority nominations. Bethany is a tennis player, an advocate for woman’s rights, a Sunday school teacher, a seminar host for young children, and also a writer for The Dakota Planet. Being in the Chippewa Valley District since kindergarten, she has overcame a lot, since being bullied in elementary school, to becoming a strong woman herself to inspire young girls. As her last year in high school she says that she will be applying to many colleges and her dream college would be Spelman university in Atlanta. She wants to go for African American studies and journalism. her favorite subject is writing for publication, she says it gives her a lot of freedom to do what she likes. A word of advice Bethany gives is, “Never give up on yourself. If you ever feel at rock bottom just know the only way you can go is up,”.

Our 2018 homecoming king, Mide Abejide. Also as a senior, he was in shock when announced that he won. Mide was the rightful choice being so friendly, funny and well known across the school. He says he was at a lost for words and shocked winning homecoming king. Being in the district for 13 years he is now in NHS and apart of Project Unify. He is apart of many more school organizations and will be helping host the Halloween Hoopla this year. Mide has not done any sports but is thinking about running track this year for Dakota. For the rest of the year he will be worrying mainly about applying to college, especially applying to Michigan State university. His favorite subject is AP calculus. Some words of wisdom from Mide is, “Don’t give your senior year away. Keep pushing through,”.

Both Bethany Cox and Mide Abejide are the perfect fit for this years homecoming king and queen. They are amazing seniors and will have much success to the future that will come to them.