The Librarian Games

Ms. Groppuso and I next to her display.

Here at Dakota’s library we have the very sweet Ms. Groppuso, ready to help anyone with whatever they may need. She allowed us to interview her so that we may get to know her and what she does here a little bit more.

Q    “How long have you been working at Dakota High School/ the Chippewa Valley Schools district?” (L.L.)

A    “I’ve worked here at DHS for 6 years and at the district for 16” (K.G.).

Q   “What are your favorite things about working at the DHS library?” (L.L.)

A   “Well I just love suggesting books to kids, working with them, teaching them how to research and presenting on digital citizenship. I also enjoy reading the books we have here and frankly it’s almost like I have my own huge library!” (K.G.)

Q   “What is your favorite genre and why?”(L.L.)

A   “I like to read many things, for instance, right now I’m reading a lot of non-fiction, mostly biographies. For fiction though, I would have to say realistic or historic fiction” (K.G.).

Q   “When did you decide to become a librarian?” (L.L.)

A   “I used to be an American history and ELA teacher at Iroquois Middle School. After spending some time teaching, many teachers go back to college to get their masters degree. I wanted to get a degree that would lead me to a different area of education that would still allow me to work with kids and becoming a librarian just called to me so I got my masters and became a librarian! Something that is sort of interesting about that is that I am a 3rd generation librarian which hadn’t even occurred to me until after I had become a librarian” (K.G.).

Q   “Is there anything that you are trying to improve here?”(L.L.)

A   “I wish I could work more with students, promote more reading and see more kids checking out books, and   maybe get some new computers here. I am also trying to create a “Maker Spaces” area, where students would create things on these cool 3D printers that Mr. Walker and his class are building out of a kit for us, and a green-screen room for students to use for classes or clubs ” (K.G.).

Q   “What do you enjoy to do on your free time?” (L.L.)

A   “I love being outdoors, whether it’s in the city or in open areas. I live in Detroit so I can always go walking around the city to places nearby such as the DIA and the library. I also enjoy biking, hiking, gardening, etc. Finally, I love to do yoga and read!” (K.G.).

Q   “What are some of the things that you do here that most people wouldn’t know you do?” (L.L.)

A    “I take requests from students and teachers for book purchases, buy the books we put here in the library, write grants to get books and supplies, do presentations and keep statistics and numbers. For instance, we scan ID’s all of the time to show that the library is used during certain hours and stuff like that. We also weed out the old books that nobody really reads anymore to make space for new ones ” (K.G.).

Q   “How can students recommend books?” (L.L.)

A   “They can just talk to me or Mrs. Mielcarek about what they want us to get, email us, write the name of the book down on a sticky note or print out a paper with the name of the book on it so that we can get it” (K.G.).

Q    “Do you guys have any clubs here at the library?” (L.L.)

A    “No but I do want to make a book club where we would meet, read a book and discuss it.  We do however support other clubs such as the gaming club (we lend them our chessboards to play on) and homework help (they stay in the library to help the students with their homework on Tuesdays and Thursdays)” (K.G.).

Q  “What courses, besides the core courses, do you think are the most valuable here at DHS?” (L.L.)

A   “The arts. Band, choir, photography, drawing, etc. because students don’t really get the chance to be creative enough. In these classes they can be critical thinkers, really think outside of the box because of these amazing classes. They can be creative, discover and do great things” (K.G.).

Q   “Where do you get your books from?” (L.L.)

A   “I get them from many different companies including Amazon, Barnes & Noble and Junior Library Guild. The JLG is actually really cool because it sends me 4 new books every month that are always great quality books and its own! If you ever want to find a book specifically from JLG you can just look for the gold sticker with these letters on them (in lower case) in the top, left hand corner or on the top of the spine” (K.G.).

Q   “What types of programs does the library have online?” (L.L.)

A   “We have the website on Dakota’s page (here’s a link…  http://www.chippewavalleyschools.org/schools/high- schools/dhs/media-center/) with all sorts of things like the Follett Shelf/ Destiny Discover page and app where you can get books online for free or use their databases, all with the login and password provided by Dakota (it is your username and password for the computers). There is also the Detroit News,  Macomb Daily or the Science News magazine that you can email me for the login info at [email protected].We also have multiple other ways to acquire books online if you want to check out our website. On top of that we have SAT practice, Khan Academy help and much more for our students to use” (K.G).

Q   “Do you have any pet peeves?” (L.L.)

A   “I’m kind of an organization freak, I like having the books right on the edge of the shelves and when they’re pushed to the back it bothers me. I also don’t like it when kids leave their garbage all over the media center. The biggest one though is when kids come to the library with actual lunch trays. They’re not supposed to eat here in general so that’s a little bold of them to come with entire meals” (K.G.).

Q   “What’s your favorite sport to watch?” (L.L.)

A   “Basketball, the Pistons a lot of times” (K.G.).

Q   “What is your favorite type of food?” (L.L.)

A   “Mexican food:)” (K.G.).

Q   “Favorite drinks?” (L.L.)

A   “Water and some great coffee, like lattes or cappuccinos” (K.G.).