We Are One: Dakota

On February 14th, tragedy struck the United States once again.

17 lives were lost.

But this is not the first time.

And how many more must there be before something changes?

At Dakota, the tragedy was felt by students, not even old enough to vote, and they decided change must happen, at least at Dakota. A board of 12 students have decided to go to school officials with their concerns. In the midst of these past weeks, communication between all students and staff have allowed for some changes to already be set in place. However, at some point, scanning IDs and limiting bathroom passing will not be enough. To differ from the usual debate on Twitter and social media outlet, students all over the country have joined together to march against the gun control and hundreds of school shootings that happen in places just like Parkland, or Columbine, or Dakota every year. The movement, #WEAREONE, hopes to bring unity between the government officials, students, and citizens over the country. To students at Dakota, the need to speak up for their own beliefs and unity among others run most important to them.

The point is not guns. The most important weapon students have to fight against these injustices is their voice. A spark in one student led to another sending an email. The small actions of a few students have led to a school-wide walk out. Alongside school officials, 12 students have created their own walk out to join together rather than be separated in these troubling times. These student leads have various roles in the Dakota community but to them, the environment at the school every day is the most important to ensure a better quality of life and sense of community in the district. The event is planned to be held on March 14th, one month after the Parkland shooting.

Since that day, our safety in school is questioned every day, said one student leader. “It’s not just some other state, it’s Central Michigan. Its cities around us every day that are facing threats.” To these Dakota students, the worse thing you could do is sit back and let everything happen in front of you. “This is our moment to join as a united front in a time of distress across the country.”

The board of students have set up four locations in the main building and are working on also a location at the ninth-grade center. Rather than a traditional walk out, students are invited to walk out of class and gather at a location to discuss the problems we are facing in school, social media, or around the community that need to see change. The purpose is to inform and relay the message that these troubling times will not end until there is unity. It will not be a hands-on meeting with games and activities but a mature discussion and a chance to use our voice for students’ beliefs. Teachers are allowing to attend without a tardy or absences. The school is in full cooperation because they understand some sort of change is needed. Michelle Belkovski, one of the student leaders, stated, “we need to create an environment that gives everyone respect in a place that we come to for education, not judgment.” A unified student body that listens to each other about concerns and can connect with each of the population of 3,000 is crucial to ensure a better environment for all.

Besides the walkout, the students plan to never stop talking about this topic. A topic as large as unification is never done with one movement. To the student leaders, a more unified school looks like students being willing to discuss outside of the march of the problem that is occurring in so many places. “The moment we move from just thoughts and prayers to a voice and action, this will not be over,” said Michelle. Since the spark of an idea that the students had, the communication between students have staff have increased tremendously and must never stop. Step by step, change will be brought to Dakota and schools all over.

All students are invited to join in for the walk out. Even if students do not attend the walkout, all are encouraged to participate in the 17-minute walk back to class in silence for those 17 lives lost at Parkland in Florida.