Tragedy and Resilience in Parkland, Florida

On Valentine’s day, Parkland, Florida gained the attention of the entire nation when a school shooting occurred at Majory Stoneman Douglas High School. That day, 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz took 17 lives from both students and teachers of the high school with, what is believed to be, an AR-15 semi-assault rifle. Videos and stories from survivors were all over the news across the United States. This shooting marked the 8th school shooting and 30th mass shooting so far in 2018.

As more time passes since the shooting, more has been revealed about the warning signs that this teen had the potential to do some real harm. He had been the subject of numerous 911 calls and at least two seperate tips to the FBI. Brandon Minoff, a senior at the high school said that while it was “surreal” to hear that it was Cruz who had been the shooter, “I wasn’t surprised.”

As always, in the wake of mass shooting like this, people have begun to reignite the gun control debate. However, this time, the teen survivors of the shooting are adamant about making sure that a shooting like this is not forgotten. The teens have created the Never Again Movement, in the hopes that gun control reforms can be made in the wake of this recent tragedy. They have already planned a march on March 24 and a school walkout on March 14 to protest.

Though many argue about gun control and the 2nd Amendment, there is nationwide grief for the families of the victims and survivors who now are mourning the loss of 17 members of their community.

Below are the victims of the shooting:

Alyssa Alhadeff, 14

Scott Biegel, 35

Martin Duque Anguiano, 14

Aaron Feis, 37

Nicholas Dworet, 17

Jaime Guttenberg, 14

Chris Hixon, 49

Luke Hoyer, 15

Cara Loughran, 14

Gina Montalto, 14

Joaquin Oliver, 17

Alaina Petty, 14

Meadow Pollack, 18

Helena Ramsey, 17

Alex Schachter, 14

Carmen Schentrup, 16

Peter Wang, 15