Fear and Loathing in Parkland

Students are evacuated by police from Marjorie Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., on Wednesday, Feb. 14, 2018, after a shooter opened fire on the campus. (Mike Stocker/South Florida Sun-Sentinel via AP)

It echoes the same feelings of sheer panic, shock, and terror as it did during the events of the 1999 massacre at Columbine High School, some eighteen years ago; the image of bodies riddling the sidewalks and kids running to the streets from their own school, hands held above their heads as gun shots ring aloud from the corridors they once thought of as safe. Now a war zone, now a grassy plain in some far off African village filled with prey fit for slaughter—no longer home, nor sanctuary to those who once proclaimed: “It could never happen here.”

Valentine’s Day–Parkland, Florida:

It was around 3 in the afternoon, as the students of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School began to pack up and ready themselves for the rest of their day when the screaming began. Sounds of bullets ricocheting and exploding off lockers and walls raced faster than students and staff could run or try to hide as the gunman worked his way through the building. The fire alarm followed suit, wailing alongside killer’s gun in a harmonious melody of desolation. As students fled the building and police making their way to the bloodbath, school officials sent out messages, via social media, to keep parents and escaped students updated on the situation at hand.
Needless to say, that hunters stalk fearlessly until the tides should swift and soon the wind did blow, ever stronger; police and swat teams surrounding and flooding the halls of the school. By its end at least 17 students were dead, with reportedly 21 or more students and staff injured.
Another school shooting to add to the masses.
Many celebrities and government officials took to twitter to send their condolences to the families of the victims and a community in need of support, including the likes of U.S senators: Tina Smith, Richard Blumenthal, and celebrities such as: YouTubers, Rhett and Link.

As of now the police have in custody, a former student of the afflicted school, Nikolas Cruz (age 19). It has not been stated yet if he is in fact the gunman or not, nor what will be done with him.

Sources:
Grinberg, Emanuella, and Eric Levenson. “Shooting reported at Florida high school.” CNN, Cable News Network, 14 Feb. 2018, www.cnn.com/2018/02/14/us/florida-high-school-shooting/index.html.
Audra. “Parkland, Florida, School Shooting: ‘Numerous Fatalities’ Reported.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 14 Feb. 2018, www.nytimes.com/2018/02/14/us/parkland-school-shooting.html.