MSU Tragedy

MSU+Tragedy

On February 13th, 2023, Michigan State University suffered an active shooting near the north side of the campus at Berkey Hall. At 8:18pm the police received their first call about an active shooter. After that first call, immediately the police put a Shelter-in-place for the campus and the surrounding community. At approximately 11:00pm the suspect was captured on campus security cameras. The gunman left 3 Michigan State students dead and when the police found the gunman, he was found off campus in Lansing not breathing from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. 

14 months ago, Oxford high school experienced this exact tragedy and 2022 graduates that went to Michigan State had to experience it all over again. According to research, the 2022 graduates from oxford were asked to speak on how they felt during this tragedy. They were all scared and angry about when this would end. Thinking back and sending the “I love you” text all over again to their family and close friends.  

Students now return to campus, but most students are going online or going back home and doing online. This has left students with trauma and scared to go back to school for the rest of the semester. School should be a safe place where students or parents shouldn’t have to worry if they are coming home or not. Now school is a place students fear going every day, praying they make it home at the end of the day.  

If you go to MSU or plan on going to MSU and you ever need to talk to anyone here are some numbers, you can call. 

Free, confidential crisis counseling is available 24/7 

Students call: (517) 355-8270 and Community Mental Health: (517) 346-8460