Michigan Men’s Ice Hockey

This year, Michigan’s ice hockey team is looking really good they are currently #1 in the world, this year’s captains are Nolan Moyle as their main captain, Jacob Truscott, Keaton Pehrson, and Luke Hughes as alternate captains. The Wolverines are currently in the number 1 spot for college hockey, they are currently 7-1-0. Michigan’s next game is on November 4th versing Penn State at Penn State which is going to be an exciting game because Penn State is also a top 10 team.

Luke Hughes’s brothers, Quinn Hughes, and Jack Hughes also attended Michigan and both in the NHL, Quinn plays for the Vancouver Canucks and Jack plays for the New Jersey Devils. Luke Hughes was actually drafted by the New Jersey Devils in last year’s NHL entry draft but decided to stay in college to win a championship with Michigan, Luke currently has 2 goals, and 6 assist’s which makes his total 8 points for the season.

Erik Portillo is the starting goaltender this season, this year he is averaging 2.74 goals against (how many goals he lets in per game) which is pretty good for a college goaltender, he has made 210 saves this year while having a .924% save percentage.

Some of their players have been outstanding and some not so much, Their captain however, has had a slow start on the season, Nolan Moyle only has 1 goal throughout the 8 games they have played so he is having a rough start on the season. Steven Holtz has been a good team player so far this season grabbing 3 assists with 2 in one game against Boston University. Dylan Duke however has 4 goals and 5 assists on the season, he was drafted by the Tampa Bay Lighting in the 2021 NHL entry draft (126th overall) but wanted to stay in college because he is only a sophomore, during the series against Boston University, he scored two goals and had 1 assists during that two game stretch, he also recorded a 1 goal and 1 assists series sweep against Lake Superior State University (LSSU). Seamus Casey has also been a star at the start of the season bagging 3 goals and 6 assists having 9 points on the season, Seamus was drafted by the New Jersey Devils in the 2022 NHL entry draft (46th overall), he had a pair of goals and 1 assists in the game where they beat Boston University 9-2.

Rutger McGoarty has been outstanding so far this season having 4 goals and 6 assists, he scored at hattrick when he played against Western Michigan University, he was drafted by the Winnipeg Jets in the 2022 NHL entry draft (14th overall) as he is a freshman since he has gotten drafted to the big leagues he can leave college after this year and play for the Jets next season. Mackie Samoskevich has totaled 6 goals and 6 assists making 12 points on the season for this sophomore during the series sweep at LSSU he totaled 1 goal and 3 assists helping the team with the sweep he was drafted by the Florida Panthers in the 2021 NHL entry draft (24th overall). T.J Hughes (not related to Jack Hughes) is having a stellar freshman season having 5 goals and 4 assists and helped with the series split against Boston University with grabbing 2 goals and 1 assist.