Life As a College Freshman So Far

This week, I interviewed two of my friends who have recently gone to college. It gives two perspectives on what it is like in college for some people and how they manage their life taking college courses.  

From an 18-year-old Student in Indiana who goes to a university as a Bachelor of Science Psychology major and does not live in a dorm.

What is the best thing about college? 

“The best thing about college is being able to articulate yourself to your professors without any fear. Additionally, college also promotes independence, which makes me feel very productive.” 

What is the worst thing about college? 

“I think the worst thing about college is the time it takes to get work done. It takes more time to finish homework than it did in my previous classes in high school. Studying can really add up if you are a full-time student with 15 credits. Working, studying, and doing homework takes most of my time and it limits my personal time. I also often find myself missing hangouts with friends which really sucks.” 

What are some tips for incoming college Freshmans? 

“I highly recommend looking into a community, such as a club and making connections with people around you. I also think it is really important to go to events that are hosted at your college, it will help you de-stress and you will make more friends. I would say don’t wait for anything, if you have a question, then ask your professor ASAP.” 

What would you have done differently? 

“If I could have done something differently, I would say I should have talked to my professors more. There were times when I didn’t ask my professors for help when I needed it, which just led me to waste a lot of time on something that could have been done sooner.” 

What is some advice you could give for homework and studying? 

“I think right before every lecture you should look at the slides of the lecture at least one time. As for every lecture, you should review your notes within 15 minutes. When studying 1 hour for every credit hour for that week. Make sure to give yourself a break every now and then. If you find yourself spacing out, take a quick break and then go back at it. I personally find the Pomodoro technique to be effective. So, I would recommend that.”  

The Pomodoro Technique 

A method for staying focused and mentally fresh 

Step One: Pick a task 

Step Two: Set a 25-minute timer 

Step Three: Work on your task until the time is up 

Step Four: Take a 5-minute break 

Step Five: Every 4 pomodoros, take a longer 15–30-minute break 

What is it like to have a job while also taking classes? 

“Having a job can really help with college expenses. My personal experience has been both positive and negative with having a job. I find myself not being able to hang out with my friends because I have to work right after my classes. When I come back from work, I have to study, which doesn’t leave much time for friends and family. It’s beneficial in terms of supporting your expenses and teaches you how to be smart financially. I think the best thing you can do to manage time is to create a schedule for the week and go off of that. If you have a game plan for the week, it’s a lot easier to manage your time.” 

————————————————————————————————————————–

From a 17-year-old Student from Western Michigan University as a Chemical Engineer Major who lives in a dorm.  

What is the best thing about college? 

“Honestly, it’s the freedom and new experiences. All throughout high school you have your parents or guardians there for you to help you make decisions on your part. Being away has allowed me to make my own choices and learn how to handle different situations in the world. It also allows me to understand a little more about adulthood.”  

What is the worst thing about college? 

“While it being amazing to be able to make choices for myself, I miss always having someone I could go to for help. Before college, you aren’t really prepared for true adulthood. So, being thrown right into it, it was a bit stressful. Learning how to manage classes alongside my living space and finances is difficult when you aren’t taught what to do.” 

“I strongly recommend going to events in the beginning of the year before the semester starts, it will help you make friends easier. If you are in a dorm with people, talk to your roommate before you move in. Make a list of things you know you eat! Go out and have fun. Don’t just stay in all the time. Make sure to enjoy your college freedom.” 

What should you bring to college? 

“I strongly recommend bringing more than one pillow. Two to three is best. It allows you comfort in your small dorm where you will not have many places to sit and be comfortable. I also recommend bringing LED lights that are soft in color as it will be nice to have something other than your bright room light. Bring something you can do to pass time. Whether it be games or something else. I college you will have a lot of free time, so you won’t just want to lounge around. Bring a trash can. You will need it more than you think due to snacks and other things.” 

What should you not bring to college? 

“Do not over pack clothes. Bring what you know you always wear. Do not bring too many shoes. Only pack things you will realistically wear.” 

What would you have done differently? 

“Set a schedule as a guide. It would have been nice in the beginning of the semester to help me figure out my time management. I also would have given myself more time off so that I could de-stress and relax.” 

“For homework or study, I would recommend always going to your TA’s or professor’s office hours. It would allow you to ask questions when you need, and you can ask them ways to study. I also recommend getting your homework done sooner rather than later. Procrastination really causes a lot of stress and is not good for testing or doing homework efficiently. For studying, I would recommend only studying what you do not know. You have to go into it with a confident mindset on the knowledge you know. You also must remember that after you have taken the test, that you have done the best you can.”