Meet the Teacher: Mrs. Carr

Mrs. Carr helping Rodrigo Solorzano write his essay.

Mrs. Carr is a new teacher here at Dakota this year and has let us ask her a few questions so the students can get to know her better.

Q: What do you teach here at Dakota?
A: I teach English 10 and 12.

Q: How/ When did you decide to become a teacher?
A: I’ve been coaching gymnastics for a while and I really enjoy working with students so it made sense for me to continue that and become a teacher.

Q: What high school/ college did you attend?
A: I went to Niles High School as a teenager and then I attended Central Michigan University, and got a double major in English and History. I then went to Grand Valley for my masters in reading. I also went to Colombia University this past summer for the Teachers College Summer Reading and Writing and Institute program they have which was really fun.

Q: Do you have any kids?
A: Yes, I have two daughters. My oldest is Emily who is seven and she goes to Ojibwa. Addison is five years old and she goes to Little Turtle.

Q: If you could live anywhere in the world where you live?
A: I’ve moved around a lot already so I would probably stay here in Michigan.

Q: Do you have any Pets?
A: Yes, I have three cats all named after characters from books, their names are Boo Radley, Grizabella, and Poe. I also have two dogs Dottie and Chase. We rescued Chase from the humane society and kept his name because he likes to chase cars.

Q: Did you play any sports when you were in school?
A: I always enjoyed gymnastics so I participated in that, and when I was at Central I was on their gymnastics team.

Q: Coke or Pepsi?
A: Mountain Dew (:

What is your favorite color?
A: Blue

Q: What is your favorite show/ movie/ book(s)?
A: I finished “House of Cards” on Netflix not too long ago and I really enjoyed that. I think my favorite movie would have to be “Into the Wild.” Some of my favorite books are: “Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close,” ” All the Light We Cannot See,” and I’m a big fan of the author F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Q: What was the best vacation you’ve went on so far?
A: I think one of the best vacations I’ve ever been on was to Beijing for my gymnastics team and we saw the Olympic Development Program which is where the athletes go to start training for the Olympics. It was interesting to see of all the cultural differences between the U.S and China and how their way of life differs from ours.