Dakota Student Section

The Dakota Student Section is where many kids from Dakota spend their Friday nights. It’s a group of Students dressing up in theme to support our football team. The student section hypes up not only the football team but also the cheerleaders, dancers, and parents at the game. The main motto of the student section is to be loud or leave. While in the student section or viewing it from outside you will hear lots of chants, and yelling. The student section is an amazing social event for all Dakota students to join. 

picture by: Carson Gilbertson

The student section is organized by five people known as the “Student Section Leaders.” Together they organize the themes for the games, and everything else that goes into the making of the big crowd. Cam Davis is a senior at Dakota High School and is also a student section leader. He say’s to be a good student section leader you need to be loud, confident, and outgoing. The key to being a good student section leader is to have good school spirit and while enjoying the game and having fun they also help make sure everyone is safe and respectful. They are the ones who start the chants and get everyone hyped up. Kendyl Baron is also a student section leader. She says to be a good student section leader “You must be responsible, support all of the sports and activities at school, keep everyone safe, and make sure everyone is having fun.” They control the the twitter, make the themes and plan which ones go for what game. They make signs and posters and have meetings to make sure everything is going according to plan. Kendyl loves being a student section leader, her favorite part is helping lead the student section and hyping everyone up for the games. The student section leaders are the main part of the student section, without them things wouldn’t flow as easily.

Being a student at Dakota, one of the most fun things to do is go to the Friday night games. My favorite part is chanting things. Someone starts one of our chants and everyone goes along with it. I also really like the themes, its so fun to see everyone’s outfits and everyone dressed up for the game. Payton Rettich is a senior at Dakota high school and has been in the student section for four years. Payton says every year she’s had a great experience in the student section. Paytons favorite part is when we score a touchdown and everyone starts screaming our classic ‘Oh oh oh oh ohhhh” song. Her favorite chant is “lets get fired up” and her favorite theme is pink out.  

The cheerleaders, dancers, and football players have a great view of the student section. Mackenzie Corbin who is a junior on Dakotas varsity dance team says “The student section looks very festive and captures the themes well.” Bianka Cukarkov is also a junior on DVD, she states “When I look up at the student section is looks very fun and entertaining.” Both girls agree that the student section makes them more motivated to be out there dancing and supporting the school. Dimari is a sophomore on Varsity football. He says “The student section looks really good and that it feels good to see all the people that came to support the team as they play.” Dimari also says “the student section is really hype, it gives you the extra thrill for the game and makes it more exciting to play football.” Quest is a senior on varsity football, to him the student section is very hype. He says “its amazing to look up at hundreds of people you know supporting your and your team it’s a special feeling to have that every Friday night.” Quest states “I think I’ve always fed off the energy of the student section, to an extent I feel like it turns me up when a big play happens and you just hear the crowd erupt it’s a great feeling.” 

picture by: Carson Gilbertson

Overall, the student section is a great place to have fun and meet new people. It inspires the rest of the crowd to be loud. The student section is a perfect example of school spirit. While everyone is having fun and watching the game they are also supporting Dakota and all the football boys. If your thinking of what to do on Friday night then you should join the student section in cheering on the football team every Friday night under the lights.